DRC presidential hopeful says she was barred from travel

2018-10-19 12:37
DRC (File, iStock)

DRC (File, iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The sole woman candidate in Democratic Republic of Congo's tense presidential race on Thursday accused the government of blocking her from travelling abroad, two months before elections to replace Joseph Kabila.

Marie-Josee Ifoku, whose candidacy was initially rejected by election authorities before the decision was overturned by the constitutional court, is one of 21 people standing for the December polls in the nation, which has not seen a peaceful transition of power since 1960.

She told AFP that she was stopped by authorities when she attempted to visit Brazzaville in neighbouring Republic of Congo earlier this week, adding that officials had detained her colleague.

Brazzaville and Kinshasa lies on opposite sides of the Congo river.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

"I regularly receive threats from the security services," said Ifoku, 53, adding that she had been pressured to support the candidacy of Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary, a hardline former interior minister backed by Kabila.

"I left the majority to fight this rotten system... we are prevented from leaving the country, what will happen during the election campaign?" she said.

Neither the authorities, nor representatives from the ruling coalition were immediately available to respond to AFP questions on the claims.

Kabila, who has held office since 2001, has said he will not run again in the long-delayed December 23 ballot.

Months of feverish speculation about Kabila's plans, marked by protests that were bloodily repressed, ended in August when he threw his weight behind Shadary.

In September the constitutional court upheld the appeals by Ifoku, a former vice-governor of Tshuapa province, as well as former prime minister Samy Badibanga, who had both been banned by the electoral commission for falling short of nationality requirements.

But while a candidate list finalised at the end of last month included opposition figures Felix Tshisekedi and Vital Kamerhe, it confirmed the exclusion of former warlord Jean-Pierre Bemba and regional baron Moise Katumbi - a move that raised howls of protest from their powerful blocs of supporters.

Read more on:    joseph ­kabila  |  drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic

Jobs in Cape Town [change area]

Jobs in Western Cape region

Cluster Financial Manager

Cape Town
Network Finance
R950 000.00 - R1 000 000.00 Per Year

Reporting Accountant

Cape Town
Network Finance Professional / Prudential
R310 000.00 - R360 000.00 Per Year

SQL Reporter

Cape Town
Communicate Cape Town IT
R10 000.00 - R12 000.00 Per Month

Property [change area]

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.