DRC rejects foreign funding for long-delayed elections

2018-03-27 10:00
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Democratic Republic of Congo's government says it will not take international funding for its long-delayed elections, calling it a decision to avoid foreign interference.

A statement issued on Monday thanks all partners who announced election contributions, saying the government should find a way to direct the money toward projects in health, education and infrastructure upgrades.

President Joseph Kabila, whose mandate ended in December 2016, has said elections will be organised by the Congolese only. The opposition has accused him of trying to cling to power. Some protests have turned deadly.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news from around the continent by subscribing to our FREE newsletter, Hello Africa.

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook. 

The election commission has said the vote now will be in December.

The United States last month urged DRC to abandon the use of electronic voting to avoid any challenges to results. Monday's statement, however, recommends continued public awareness about the machines.

Read more on:    drc  |  central africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.