Ebola death toll in DRC rises to 180

2018-11-02 14:35
Ebola ( File, iStock)

Ebola ( File, iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has claimed 180 lives, according to the health ministry, with 10 more reported deaths in recent days.

The ministry said on Thursday that it had recorded 285 possible cases and 180 deaths.

The latest outbreak is spreading in the highly-restive northeastern region of North Kivu, which is home to a clutch of armed groups.

It is the 10th in DRC since Ebola was first detected there in 1976.

In mid-October, Congolese authorities said they were facing a "second wave" of the outbreak centred on Beni, a town near the border with Uganda.

The epicentre had earlier been focused on Mangina, around 20km from Beni.

Since a vaccination programme began on August 8, more than 25 000 people have been innoculated, the health ministry said.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Read more on:    drc  |  central africa  |  ebola  |  health
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.