Egypt expects to complete British couple's autopsies 'next week'

2018-08-30 20:30
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Egyptian pathologists should next week complete the autopsies of a British couple who died on holiday, officials said on Thursday, pledging to "leave no stone unturned" in determining the cause of death.

John and Susan Cooper passed away last week after falling ill suddenly during an all-inclusive stay at a plush hotel in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada.

Tour operator Thomas Cook moved all its other customers from the hotel after the couple died in what their daughter called "suspicious" circumstances.

The company said it was unclear what caused the deaths of the couple in their 60s, while Egyptian authorities initially pointed to natural causes and said there were no signs of violence.

Thomas Cook's chief executive Peter Fankhauser jetted into Cairo on Wednesday to meet Egypt's prime minister and tourism minister and follow up on the investigations.

"Detailed autopsies on the two bodies are currently being conducted by a team of forensic pathologists," Tourism Minister Rania al-Mashat said in a statement on Thursday.

"It would be inappropriate to attach a specific date to this but I anticipate this will be concluded during next week."

Mashat said Egypt would "leave no stone unturned in determining the actual cause of death" and would repatriate the bodies to Britain once the autopsies are completed.

Egypt's attorney general is also leading a separate probe "examining in forensic detail all hygiene aspects of the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel", the statement said.

Investigators "will test food, water and air conditioning", it said, with this work also expected to be completed next week.

Egyptian authorities have already said that there were no toxic gas leaks from the appliances in the couple's room.

Thomas Cook called the meeting with the Egyptian officials "constructive" and said it had been given reassurances that answers would be provided "as swiftly as possible".

Egypt's key tourism industry has been recovering from a devastating blow in 2015 when jihadists bombed a Russian airliner carrying holidaymakers from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, killing all 224 on board.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook


Read more on:    egypt  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.