Egypt says troops killed 14 militants after Sinai massacre

2017-11-28 20:31
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cairo -  Egyptian authorities say security forces have killed at least 14 Islamic militants in Sinai and an adjacent Suez Canal province following the massacre at a village mosque in the northern part of the peninsula last week that killed 305 people.

The Interior Ministry said on Tuesday that 11 of the suspected militants were killed in a shootout on a farm in Ismailia province. It says six suspects were arrested there.

Military spokesperson Colonel Tamer el-Rifai says three suspected militants were killed in central Sinai. He did not elaborate.

Friday's attack on a mosque in northern Sinai was the deadliest assault by Islamic extremists in Egypt's modern history. The dead included 27 children and another 128 people were wounded.

The Islamic State group hasn't yet claimed responsibility for the mosque attack.

Read more on:    egypt  |  north africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.