Egyptian official: 14 policemen killed southwest of Cairo

2017-10-21 12:30

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cairo - An Egyptian security official says 14 policemen have been killed in a shootout with militants southwest Cairo.

The official says the exchange of gunfire took place on Friday in the al-Wahat al-Bahriya district in the Giza governorate, about 135km from the Egyptian capital.

He says eight other security personnel were wounded in the attack. Several Egyptian media outlets also reported the shootout.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to talk to reporters. Several Egyptian media outlets reported the deadly shootout.

No militant group immediately claimed involvement in Friday's shootout.

Egypt has been under a state of emergency since bombings and suicide attacks targeting minority Coptic Christians killed scores earlier this year.

Read more on:    egypt  |  north africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.