Eight arrested in Burundi for planning to disrupt key vote

2018-04-20 21:09

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Burundi police said on Friday eight people had been arrested for planning attacks to disrupt a constitutional referendum next month that could keep President Pierre Nkurunziza in power until 2034.

Police spokesperson Pierre Nkurikiye said security forces on Thursday morning discovered two automatic weapons and ammunition during a "search and seizure" operation at the home of a suspect in western Burundi.

"Our investigation resulted in the arrest of seven more people, eight in total, who shared the goal of disrupting the next referendum with the use of firearms," he said.

The eight suspects were displayed to journalists in the capital Bujumbura on Friday, along with the alleged evidence.

Nkurikiye said investigations were underway to find "who is behind this criminal movement" warning that there were "some politicians who have already expressed through the media their intention to disrupt this referendum by any means, including weapons."

A draft constitutional amendment, proposed in October and allowing Nkurunziza, 54, to stand for two more seven-year terms from 2020, is due to be voted on in May.

The government has accused exiled oppositionists, and neighbouring countries, of planning to undermine the referendum and has deployed military units to areas bordering Rwanda to the north and the Democratic Republic of Congo to the west.

Patrols by the ruling party's youth wing the Imbonerakure - described as a militia by the UN - have also increased.

Nkurunziza's run for a controversial third term in 2015 plunged Burundi into a deep political crisis that has left at least 1 200 people dead and forced 400 000 to flee the country. The International Criminal Court (ICC) has begun an investigation into widespread abuses since then.

Earlier this week US-based Human Rights Watch said government forces and ruling party members - including the Imbonerakure - were targeting suspected opponents ahead of the May 17 referendum.

Burundi's lower house late on Wednesday voted to allow security forces in the politically tense nation to conduct night raids without a search warrant.

The bill must now go before the Senate before being passed into law by President Pierre Nkurunziza "as fast as possible", a senior member of the ruling CNDD-FDD party told AFP, asking not to be named.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Read more on:    burundi  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.