Equatorial Guinea frees journalists held after judge interview

2019-09-09 22:00
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Two journalists held by police after they interviewed a suspended judge in Equatorial Guinea have been released without charge, one of them said on Monday.

Equatorial Guinea has one of the world's worst records for media rights, ranking 165th out of 180 on the 2019 World Press Freedom Index compiled by Reporters Without Borders (RSF).

Melanio Nkogo and Ruben Dario Bacale, who work at the oil-rich nation's only privately-owned TV station Asonga, spent 12 days in detention after broadcasting an interview with a judge, Nazario Oyono.

Oyono was suspended last month by the Supreme Court's President, David Nguema Obiang, amid a dispute between the pair who accuse each other of preventing an embezzlement trial.

Nkogo said he believes that he and his colleague were held in a bid to "intimidate" them.

"We are free and will continue to work as journalists to provide objective information," he told AFP.

Media watchdog RSF said the case "shows the extreme vulnerability of journalists" working in the country.

Nkogo said he believes the country's president and vice-president intervened in order to secure his release.

Asonga's owner is the son of Equatorial Guinea's iron-fisted President Teodoro Obiang Nguema, who has ruled for 40 years.

It is widely believed that the son, Teodorin Nguema Obiang, is being groomed for his succession.

Read more on:    equatorial guinea  |  west africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.