Former presidential candidate on trial in Congo-Brazzaville

2018-05-08 10:07
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

With visiting media kept firmly at arm's length, the trial opened on Monday of General Jean-Marie Michel Mokoko, a former presidential candidate accused by Congolese authorities of trying to stage a coup.

Mokoko, 71 and a former chief of staff of the Republic of Congo's army, appeared in the criminal court to face accusations of "undermining internal state security" after a 2016 presidential poll in which he placed third.

The general, once an advisor of long-serving President Denis Sassou Nguesso, faces a trial which his defence counsel says is "simply a settling of political scores."

Reporters who had been able to enter the hearing were ushered out prior to the reading of the charge sheet.

Other reporters, including journalists from French broadcaster RFI and AFP, were unable to access the building despite having accreditation.

Only state television and official presidential media representatives were permitted to remain inside.

Previous major cases have been open to the media, including a trial that followed blasts at an army arms dump in 2012 which killed almost 300 people.

In March 2016, Mokoko won less than a 14% vote share as Sassou Nguesso was controversially declared a first-round winner. Sassou Nguesso, 74, has cumulatively spent almost 35 years in office since 1979.

After the vote, Mokoko and other candidates called for a campaign of "civil disobedience."

But "had he wanted to stage a coup he would have done so a long time ago. General Jean-Marie Michel Mokoko never said 'take up arms'," one of his lawyers, Norbert Tricaud, told RFI on Thursday.

The charge sheet against him has to date not been made public.

His Congolese and French lawyers say they will not speak at the trial.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Read more on:    republic of congo  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.