French hospital suspends Rwanda doctor convicted of genocide

2018-02-07 06:00
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kigali - A French public hospital has suspended a Rwandan doctor who was convicted on genocide charges back home, after a protest by a Rwandan government commission.

Dr Charles Twagira started working at the Paul Doumer Hospital outside Paris last month, and the Rwanda National Commission for the Fight against Genocide issued a protest on Monday. The commission says his hiring trivialises the 1994 Rwandan genocide in which 800,000 people were killed.

The Paris regional hospital authority said in a statement to The Associated Press on Tuesday that the hospital learned of the accusations against Twagira only a week after he started working there.

The hospital sought clarification from the Paris prosecutor's office and decided to suspend him "to ensure the good functioning of the public hospital service," the statement said.

Twagira, a former regional health director in Rwanda, was found guilty in absentia in 2009 of crimes related to Rwanda's genocide and sentenced to life.

He is also under investigation in France, where he was handed preliminary charges of complicity to genocide and crimes against humanity in 2014. That investigation is ongoing.

Twagira denies wrongdoing. His lawyer, Arthur Vercken, said Tuesday the Rwandan case against Twagira was politically motivated and driven by a government that is "using genocide (investigations) for political ends."

Vercken said Twagira told the hospital about his legal problems when applying for the post.

"What is wrong ... if someone who is under preliminary charges and presumed innocent gets a job while he is preparing his defense?" the lawyer asked. "He's a good doctor. That's it."

Relations between Rwanda and France are increasingly strained over Rwanda's accusations of French complicity in the genocide, which France denies.

Read more on:    france  |  rwanda  |  east africa  |  rwandan 1994 genocide

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.