Guinea opposition resumes strikes over disputed polls

2018-05-14 18:28
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Guinea's opposition on Monday resumed protests over disputed local elections in February, with a strike crippling parts of the seaside capital Conakry.

Traffic was disrupted in Matoto and Ratoma, the city's biggest areas where opposition supporters set up barricades, as well as at the main markets of Madina and Bonfi.

"We will continue to put spokes in the wheels of the majority," said Alpha Mamadou Sane from the main opposition UFDG party.

"Only the ministers and their deputies have opened their offices so that they can say the administration was functioning," he said.

"Secretaries, delivery boys, orderlies, technicians and workers all stayed away."

Lamarana Diallo, a shopkeeper at Madina said: "We are here to keep a watch and prevent looting by the security forces and bystanders who always try and take advantage of the situation."

Disputed results of the February vote sparked demonstrations that have claimed at least 15 lives.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

The opposition stopped the protests and started talks with the government but called them off last week, saying there was a lack of will on the part of our adversaries to find consensus on the electoral differences."

Opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo said on Thursday the government was "sticking to its position by saying it cannot change the results announced by the independent national election commission", or CENI.

"The results do not remotely reflect the real outcome," he said, adding that the "choice of the citizens in voting stations supercedes all other considerations."

The February election was the first of its kind since a military dictatorship ended a decade ago. It followed eight years of delays blamed on lack of funds, political infighting and the 2013-16 Ebola crisis.

Read more on:    guinea  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.