Guinea police fire tear gas on banned demo in Conakry

2018-10-24 08:00
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Guinea police clashed with hundreds of youths Tuesday in the capital Conakry and the opposition leader claimed his car was shot at during a banned rally over disputed elections.

"They wanted to assassinate me," Cellou Dalien Diallo claimed after he said his vehicle was hit by a police bullet as he was on his way to the protest.

After protesters attempted to block traffic in Conakry's Cosa district, they lobbed stones in clashes with police who responded with tear gas, an AFP reporter said.

Tensions have been high in the poor west African country since the death on October 16 of a protester during a two-day campaign aimed at bringing Conakry to a standstill.

Diallo, a former prime minister and key opponent of President Alpha Conde, accused the gendarmerie of targeting his vehicle.

"The bullet passed between my driver and me," he said, showing a reporter where he claimed a bullet went through the front and rear windows of the car. His driver was injured by shattered glass, Diallo said.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

AFP could not immediately confirm police had fired live rounds. A police spokesman declined comment when asked by AFP about Diallo's allegations.

The opposition on Monday had urged supporters to go ahead with the protest despite a ban by local authorities citing safety concerns for schools in the area.

Relatives say the protesters who died at a rally on October 16 was shot in the chest by riot police, while a police spokesman said he was hit by a stray bullet.

Riot police chief General Ansoumane Camara told reporters earlier that any attempt to provoke a march or block traffic on Tuesday would be repressed.

The opposition claims Conde's government has reneged on a deal to install new officials elected in the contested February 4 municipal ballot, the first such vote since the end of a military dictatorship a decade ago.

Authorities have started to install new municipal officials, with the opposition accusing the government of bribing some of them to keep control of local councils across the former French colony.

The municipal elections had been repeatedly delayed because of political infighting and the Ebola crisis in 2013-16.

Read more on:    cellou dalien diallo  |  guinea  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.