Health workers in DRC's Ebola outbreak attacked weekly

2018-10-23 11:23
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Health teams responding to Democratic Republic of Congo's latest Ebola outbreak are attacked three or four times a week on average, a level of violence unseen in the country's nine previous outbreaks of the deadly virus, the health ministry said on Monday.

The coordinator of the outbreak response, Dr Ndjoloko Tambwe Bathe, spoke to reporters after a weekend marked by deadly rebel attacks and violent protests that suspended Ebola containment efforts in the epicenter of the outbreak.

In one attack, two health agents with Congo's military were killed by rebels in the first such deaths since the outbreak was declared August 1. The next day, residents of Beni protested another rebel attack that killed 15 civilians by pelting aid groups' vehicles with stones.

The UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres is "outraged" by the violence against health workers and is calling on all armed groups to immediately stop attacks, his spokesman said Monday.

The number of confirmed Ebola cases in this outbreak is now 203, including 120 deaths. The virus is spread by contact with bodily fluids of those infected, including the dead.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Each suspension of Ebola containment work affects both vaccinations and the tracking of contacts of infected people. A deadly rebel attack late last month in Beni, the outbreak's epicenter, forced work to stop for days while angry residents traumatized for years by conflict brought the community to a standstill.

Since then many of the new Ebola cases have been in Beni, while aid groups have expressed alarm that the number of new cases overall more than doubled since the start of this month. In the week ending Sunday, 19 of the outbreak's 22 new cases were in Beni.

This is the first time an Ebola outbreak has occurred in Congo's far northeast, where multiple rebel groups are active. Resistance by wary communities has been a major concern, with infected people slipping away and safe burials a flashpoint as families bristle at outsiders telling them how to say goodbye to loved ones.

Bathe told reporters he regretted that some community members were putting themselves in danger.

One group of youths in Beni recently stole the body of an Ebola victim on the way to the cemetery with the family's consent, he said. After touching the corpse, one of the youths became infected and died.

Read more on:    drc  |  central africa  |  ebola  |  health

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.