HRW urges Angola to probe killing of teen at protest

2016-08-11 07:15

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Luanda - Human Rights Watch on Wednesday urged Angola to probe the military's killing of a 14-year-old boy during weekend protests against the demolition of houses in the capital Luanda.

Rufino Antonio was struck by a bullet in his neck and died during peaceful demonstrations against the razing of homes to clear space for an industrial project in Zango, a working class suburb on the outskirts of the city.

"Angolan soldiers fired live ammunition during a peaceful protest and the unsurprising result is the death of a teenage boy," said Daniel Bekele, Africa director at Human Rights Watch.

"The authorities need to promptly investigate why the soldiers opened fire (and) prosecute those responsible for any wrongdoing," he said in a statement.

Rui Domingos, the boy's uncle, said Antonio had been playing outside with other children before running off to join the demonstration when the military police arrived to break up the protest.

Luanda-based civil society group SOS-Habitat that defends the rights of Angolans to housing and land, has denounced the killing of the teenager.

The demolitions, which were launched at the end of last month, have left around 2 500 families homeless, according to local rights groups.

Read more on:    human rights watch  |  angola
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.