In eastern DRC, 19 die of Ebola in five days

2018-11-28 15:03
File: AFP

File: AFP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The deadly Ebola outbreak which has ravaged eastern Democratic Republic of Congo for nearly four months has claimed another 19 lives in just five days, the health ministry has said.

The outbreak, which began on August 1, has now killed 241 people, the ministry said in a statement late on Tuesday.

"There have been 241 deaths," the ministry said in an update correct to November 26, indicating there had been a total of 421 cases - 374 of them confirmed, and another 47 probable.

Another 74 suspected cases are under investigation.

The outbreak is the tenth in DRC since Ebola was first detected there in 1976.

The crisis is centred around the restive eastern city of Beni in North Kivu, a region which has been blighted by armed conflict which has hampered efforts to curb the outbreak.

Ebola is a serious infectious disease that can spread rapidly through small amounts of bodily fluid, causing internal bleeding and potentially death.

DRC is in the throes of a major campaign ahead of a December 23 election to choose a successor to President Joseph Kabila, who has ruled the vast central African country since 2001.

Since winning independence from Belgium in 1960, this poverty-stricken nation has never known a peaceful transition of power.

Read more on:    drc  |  central africa  |  ebola  |  health
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.