Libya strongman says victory near against Derna jihadists

2018-06-05 14:14
Khalifa Haftar (File: AP)

Khalifa Haftar (File: AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Libyan military strongman Khalifa Haftar said on Monday that victory was near for his forces in Derna, the eastern city held by jihadists since the 2011 armed uprising.

Haftar's self-styled Libyan National Army launched an offensive on May 7 to "liberate" the coastal city, home to about 150 000 people and held by hardline fighters since the uprising that ousted dictator Muammar Gaddafi.

"Victory is near," Haftar said in a video published on YouTube, adding that his forces had "cleaned up" suburbs of the city.

LNA forces have laid siege to Derna for nearly two years, making it difficult for residents to access humanitarian aid.

The city is the only part of eastern Libya out of the LNA's control.

It is held by a ragtag coalition of Islamist and jihadist militias, including groups close to Al-Qaeda, hostile to both Haftar and the Islamic State group.

Haftar said that after its "liberation" his forces would deploy across the city to take control of all areas and infrastructure.

But he called on them to ensure the safety of residents and to put up defence barriers for additional security.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

The strongman whose forces are backed by the United Arab Emirates and Egypt also prohibited his troops from taking "revenge", in particular against "terrorists" who surrender and give up their arms.

"It is necessary to respect legal procedures concerning prisoners and to deliver them to the competent organs," Haftar said.

Some members of Haftar's forces have been implicated in war crimes, including Mahmud al-Werfalli, a commander of the Al-Saiqa brigade based in Libya's second city of Benghazi.

On the humanitarian front, the situation in Derna is critical, according to the International Organization for Migration.

Since fighting began in Derna more than three weeks ago, "continued shelling and clashes" have forced at least 425 families - about 2 125 people - to flee the city, the IOM's Displacement Tracking Matrix said on Monday.

On Friday, the UN mission in Libya said at least 17 civilians, including two children, have been killed and 22 others, including seven children, have been wounded in the fighting since May 16.

It said the escalation in the fighting reached "unprecedented levels" last week and was getting increasingly close to densely populated areas.

Read more on:    libya  |  north africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.