Libya's new defence minister survives assassination attempt

2016-07-14 17:23
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Benghazi - ZLibya's new defence minister is said to have survived a car bomb assassination attempt, One of his guards was wounded by shrapnel.

The media office of Mahdi al-Barghathi said on Thursday that the minister came under attack while leaving an army barrack in the eastern city of Benghazi, when a car bomb was detonated on Wednesday.

Al-Barghathi is part of the UN-brokered unity government seated in the capital Tripoli, which has so far failed to win the parliament's vote of confidence.

A key point of contention is over the army leadership and the future of General  Khalifa Hifter, the head of armed forces based in the east, unpopular in western Libya, but a hero for some in eastern Libya.

Read more on:    libya
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Most Read
News In Your Area
Top Lifestyle
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.