Morocco arrests three 'ISIS-linked jihadists'

2016-04-29 21:18
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rabat - Morocco on Friday dismantled a "terrorist cell" composed of three men who had received instructions from the Islamic State group to carry out attacks in the country, the interior ministry said.

The suspects were detained in the northeastern town of Nador and had been ordered to set up an ISIS branch aimed at "preparing a series of suicide attacks... against vital targets”, a statement said.

The members of the cell are being investigated and will be referred to trial, it added.

In March, the interior ministry said that the alleged members of a jihadist cell it had arrested the previous month, including a French national, were plotting to carry out "biological" attacks in the kingdom.

Rabat says 152 "terrorist cells" have been busted since 2002, including 31 over the past three years with ties to jihadists in Iraq and Syria.

A study by the US-based Soufan Group said in December that at least 1 200 Moroccans had travelled to fight alongside IS in Iraq and Syria in the previous 18 months.

 

Read more on:    isis  |  morocco  |  north africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.