Morocco radio ban urged for singer accused of rape

2018-09-19 21:20
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A social media campaign has been launched to ban the songs of Moroccan pop star Saad Lamjarred on the country's radio stations after he was charged in France in a third case involving rape charges.

The 33-year-old singer, whose hit "Lmaallem" has been viewed more than 660 million times on YouTube, was detained on Tuesday over an alleged incident in a Saint-Tropez hotel.

Lamjarred, who denies the allegations, had already faced rape accusations in October 2016 and April 2017.

Social media activists have started campaigning to silence Lamjarred under the hashtags #masaktach ("we will not be silenced") and #LamjarredOut.

Arabic-language website Hesspress on Wednesday posted a caricature of the singer in vanishing black ink against a Parisian backdrop next to the slogan "Salina, salina," (it's over, it's over), the title of one of his love songs.

The station Radio 2M said on Twitter that it had stopped promoting Lamjarred's songs over the latest rape charge, while Hit Radio said it would poll its listeners to decide on whether to keep his music off the air. 

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Read more on:    morocco  |  north africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.