MSF suspends some work in South Sudan after attacks

2018-07-24 17:27

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said on Tuesday it has suspended most of its work in South Sudan's northern Maban county, after protesters looted its offices and those of several humanitarian agencies.

"A group of unidentified armed men broke into (the) MSF office and compound, looting the organisation and staff's properties, burning down a tent full of equipment and destroying most of the vehicles and communication devices," the medical charity said in a statement.

"The attack has forced MSF to suspend the majority of its medical support to the host communities and the refugee population..."."

The charity runs a hospital in the Doro refugee camp and offers consultations at the state hospital of the regional capital Bunj.

MSF head of mission Samuel Theodore said the team would continue to treat those with the most critical medical conditions.

"However, as the safety of healthcare personnel and facilities cannot be guaranteed, we have no other choice but to suspend the rest of our activities, which will leave 88 000 people with limited access to much needed medical services."

The United Nations refugee agency UNCHR said on Monday that its premises were among about 10 that had been stormed and looted by protesters. Two UNCHR staff members were injured.

The violence occurred after locals protested a lack of job opportunities, accusing humanitarian organisations of hiring from outside the county, UNHCR said.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Aid workers have frequently been targeted during South Sudan's four-year-long civil war, with 100 killed since the outbreak of fighting in December 2013, according to the UN.

Thousands of aid workers work in the country which is suffering one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world, with four million displaced and seven million - more than half the population - requiring food aid in 2018, according to the UN.

Read more on:    msf  |  south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.