Nigeria: Talks with Boko Haram continue over Chibok girls

2017-04-13 16:03
Bring back our girls campaigners hold up placards with the names of some of the missing during a protest in Lagos.(Sunday Alamba, AP)

Bring back our girls campaigners hold up placards with the names of some of the missing during a protest in Lagos.(Sunday Alamba, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Maiduguri - Nigeria says negotiations with Boko Haram continue for the release of the remaining Chibok schoolgirls who were kidnapped three years ago by the extremist group, shocking the world.

The government "has gone quite far with negotiations", Vice President Yemi Osinbajo said on Wednesday night.

He spoke shortly before Friday's three-year anniversary of the mass abduction of 276 schoolgirls from a village in the country's northeast. At least 195 of them remain captive.

Nigeria in October announced the release of 21 Chibok schoolgirls, saying for the first time that it had been negotiating with the extremist group, mediated by the Swiss government and the International Committee of the Red Cross. The government denied a ransom was paid and that it had freed some detained Boko Haram fighters in exchange for the girls.

At the time, officials said they were pressing on with negotiations and expected the release of a second group of 83 girls "very soon". No more have been freed.

Osinbajo indicated that Nigeria has faced some challenges in the latest negotiations but didn't give details, citing security reasons.

The failure of Nigeria's former government to act quickly to free the girls sparked a global Bring Back Our Girls movement. Members of the movement demonstrated on Thursday in Lagos, Nigeria's commercial hub, demanding that the government do more.

The vice president said securing the safe release of the schoolgirls and others held by Boko Haram is "a matter of conscience".

Nigeria's military in the past year has rescued thousands of Boko Haram captives while liberating towns and villages from the group's control, but many have been detained as possible Boko Haram suspects.

The Nigeria-based Boko Haram's seven-year Islamic uprising has killed more than 20 000 people and driven 2.6 million from their homes, with millions facing starvation.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  nigeria  |  chibok girls  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
 

How to open a beer bottle without an opener

Do the right thing and never be thirsty again…

 
 

You won't want to miss...

WATCH: Man films himself going down water slide upside down as things go very wrong…
WATCH: Conor McGregor: Notorious the trailer
Best date night restaurants in South Africa
WATCH: Ryan Reynolds offers fans a free tattoo in new Deadpool 2 teaser
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.