'No obstacles' in launching CAR Special Criminal Court

2018-06-26 11:06
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A court charged with probing atrocities committed in the Central African Republic (CAR) has cleared its final hurdle and is expected to launch investigations later this year, its special prosecutor said on Monday.

"There are no more obstacles to prevent the court from starting its judicial activities," said Toussaint Muntazini in the CAR capital Bangui, adding that work should start in the latter half of 2018.

The Special Criminal Court's regulations were adopted by parliament in late May and validated by the Consitutional Court, he added.

It now remains for CAR President Faustin-Archange Touadera to sign a formal decree covering the SCC's regulation and organisation and the work of a special police force attached to the court.

Despite the progress, Muntazini cautioned that the court's work was still shadowed by the question of security - the detention of suspects and their rehabilitation in prison - and longer-term financial resources. Current funding for the SCC only covers the first year of operations.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER 

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

One of Africa's poorest countries, the CAR descended into bloodletting in 2013 following the ouster of the majority-Christian country's president, Francois Bozize, by a coalition of Muslim-majority rebel groups called the Seleka.

In response, Christians, who account for about 80 percent of the population, organized vigilante units dubbed "anti-balaka."

France intervened militarily to help force out the Seleka before handing on to a UN peacekeeping mission.

However, the central government remains very weak, and violence has led to thousands of deaths. Nearly 700 000 people are displaced, 570 000 are refugees abroad and 2.5 million are in need of humanitarian aid, according to the UN.

The SCC was created in 2015 but has been held up by administrative wrangling. Its prosecutor and 25 national and foreign judges were appointed in 2017 and a dozen judicial police officers added in May.

A report published in May last year by the UN's Human Rights Commissioner documented 620 incidents entailing "serious violations" of international human rights laws between 2003 and 2015.

"The vast majority" of these incidents were perpetrated by the security forces or by the Seleka or anti-Seleka militias or their spinoffs, it said.

Read more on:    un  |  faustin-archange touadera  |  car  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.