One-year countdown and high hurdles to elections in DRC

2017-12-23 11:00
Jospeh Kabila (File: AFP)

Jospeh Kabila (File: AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Kinshasa - With one year until long-delayed elections in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the countdown officially begins on Saturday for a vote which is supposed to bring about the belated departure of President Joseph Kabila.

But it remains unclear if the 45 million Congolese voters who registered in 2017 will finally get to choose a new president, deputies and elected representatives in "one single step" on December 23, 2018.

Will Kabala, in office since 2001, cede power in early 2019 to his elected successor, after extending by two years his second and final constitutional term -- which should have ended on December 20, 2016?

Stakes are high for this vast country which has never had a peaceful transition of power since independence from Belgium in 1960, and which has enviable mineral wealth of copper, cobalt, coltan, gold and diamonds.

Elections were supposed to take place by December 2017, according to an agreement signed on New Year's Eve 2016, but they were repeatedly postponed - officially due to violence in the restive Kasai region of the DRC.

The violence in Kasai erupted in September 2016 when a tribal chieftain known as the Kamwina Nsapu, who rebelled against Kabila's regime, was killed.

More than 3 000 people have died in the region since then.

The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) this past week accused the authorities of committing "crimes against humanity perpetrated to create chaos".

Humanitarian crisis 

The electoral process begins on already unsteady ground.

DRC is one of the UN's global humanitarian priorities for 2018, with four million internally displaced people and hundreds of thousands of children at risk in Kasai, according to warnings from aid agencies.

More specifically, the United Nations Mission in Congo (MONUSCO) continues to record hundreds of murders and rapes by militia or security forces - 701 rights violations were recorded in November alone, after 704 in October, 644 in September and 441 in August.

The publication of an electoral calendar on November 5, under American pressure, did not ease the political situation.

The Congolese Catholic Church, which mediated the 2016 New Year's agreement, asked Kabila to publicly declare that he would not be a candidate for his own succession - a request that remains unanswered.

The authorities have been banning and dispersing any opposition demonstrations that call for Kabila's departure by the end of the year.

"They (the opponents) want the power without election," a security source said.

Already delayed 

Strictly speaking, the authorities are already late on the timetable presented by the electoral commission on November 5: Kabila has yet to enact the electoral deal, which was adopted by parliament on December 15.

Assuming this happens, negotiations can then begin between Kinshasa and its international "partners" on the financing of the elections.

The European Union, for example, has offered its assistance on the condition that freedoms and the right to protest are restored.

These are "obsolete ultimatums", according to government spokesman Lambert Mende, who on Thursday confirmed that the government had designated $500 million (422 million euros) -- 10 percent of the 2018 budget -- for the elections, including the purchase of controversial "voting machines".

"The election will take place, even without support," a presidential ally told AFP, adding ironically: "When they organise the elections in Ireland, what does the Ivory Coast give?"

Foreign countries are treading a delicate path.

On the one hand, there are diplomatic courtesies: Brussels, Paris and Washington are demanding that the electoral timetable be adhered to, while promising to respect fundamental freedoms.

Senior United Nations official Jean-Pierre Lacroix also reaffirmed the availability of the UN "to work in support of this (electoral) process", after meeting the president on Sunday.

On the other, there are pressures and sanctions: the European Union has just extended am asset freeze and travel ban on 16 Congolese figures, including the spokesman of the government, the interior minister and the intelligence chief.

The United States also announced Thursday sanctions against an Israeli businessman, Dan Gertler, a Kabila ally, who is accused of causing the state to lose $1.3 billion in the sale of Congolese mining assets.

Read more on:    drc  |  central africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.