Refugees flee to Zambia, accusing DRC troops of killings

2017-11-09 17:05
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nchelenge - Recounting horrific stories of rape and murder allegedly by government soldiers, thousands of refugees from the Democratic Republic of Congo have sought safety on the Zambian side of Lake Mweru.

About 6 000 Congolese residents have fled across the border since late August, triggering an emergency response from the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) which has struggled to provide basic food rations and shelter.

DRC's huge eastern region has long been wracked by violence, but fighting between government soldiers and militia groups, as well as inter-ethnic clashes, has increased this year.

The UNHCR said that the unrest had caused the largest influx into Zambia for the past five years, with many refugees blaming DRC President Joseph Kabila's troops for the worst of the violence.

"I witnessed an incident where one pregnant woman was raped, her stomach ripped open and the baby killed before they killed her," Kaimba Kazili, 39, a former subsistence farmer, told AFP at the Kenani transit camp in Nchelenge, northern Zambia.

"It is not safe to live in [Democratic Republic of] Congo any more because government soldiers are killing people," she said.

On her journey to the camp, Kazili gave birth to triplets Ari, Kalangila and Kanaila - two boys and a girl - who were born on August 20, before she finally arrived in Zambia on September 14.

'Never go back' 

"It was not an easy thing but luckily we found a man driving a minibus who gave us a lift," said Kazili, originally from the Kivu region of DRC.

The triplets were shown to Zambian President Edgar Lungu when he visited the camp last week accompanied by UNCHR officials and reporters.

But Lungu had an uncompromising message for the refugees.

"You have run away from lawlessness, so don't bring lawlessness here," he told them.

"We have laws which should be obeyed by everyone. If we jail you, when you finish your jail, we will send you back to DRC."

Despite Lungu's harsh words, Pierrine Aylara, the UNHCR head in Zambia, told the president that she wanted "to applaud your hospitality towards those displaced by war and conflict."

For those in the camp, the only priorities have been the safety of their lives and getting enough to eat.

"Thank God that we all arrived safely as a family with my husband and all the four children," said Mauno Rukogo, 42.

"I will never go back to DRC because war is tough. Kabila's government was supposed to protect citizens but is killing its people."

Rukogo said she had been repeatedly displaced inside DRC, where the eastern region has been roiled by conflict for more than two decades, before she fled to Zambia on September 9.

The UNCHR said the refugees have fled inter-ethnic violence and clashes between the army and myriad militia groups, particularly in Haut Katanga and Tanganyika provinces since end of August.

Earlier this year, security worsened sharply in the Pweto area of Haut Katanga, which shares a border with Zambia.

Many refugees said that they feel safer in Zambia but that food rations were scarce and children were not getting enough to eat.

"We are also asking for medical clinics for the children," Rukogo added, with rampant malaria and diarrhoea posing major health problems.

 Wife 'killed by troops'

The UNHCR has set up tents and grass-thatched shelters at the 56-hectare site, as well as sunk two boreholes and nearly 300 pit latrines.

An agency official said that they provide 400 grammes of maize and 60 grammes of rice a day for each family, as well as other food supplies.

"I saw my wife be killed by government troops and I only just managed to run away with my three children," said Minga wa Minga, a 40-year-old school teacher.

"I had to keep going until I found some Congolese heading to Zambia," he added.

"The UN have described the situation as a humanitarian crisis but let them do something to stop Kabila from destroying the country."

Kabila failed to step down after his second and final term last December.

Elections were re-scheduled for this year, but have now been announced for December 2018.

DRC's military spokesperson in Kinshasa could not be reached for comment on the refugee's accusations.

Read more on:    un  |  edgar lungu  |  zambia  |  drc  |  southern africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
 

10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham

Here are just ten of our favourite plus-sized models:

 
 

You won't want to miss...

WATCH: Pornhub is giving users free access to premium content these holidays
5 top leg exercises for men
10 best dressed men of 2017
How to open a beer bottle without an opener
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.