Row over oil money to fight Boko Haram in Nigeria

2017-12-20 18:31
File: AFP

File: AFP

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Lagos - Nigeria's opposition has rejected a plan to spend a billion dollars of oil money to fight the Boko Haram insurgency in the country's volatile northeast.

Last week, the governor of the southern state of Edo, Godwin Obaseki, told reporters the federal government had been given the nod to withdraw the cash from the country's Excess Crude Account (ECA).

The account is a buffer drawn from crude oil revenues, jointly owned by the federal government, 36 states and local governments.

Nigeria, Africa's largest crude producer, exports around two million barrels per day and depends on the sector for 70% of government revenue and 90% of foreign exchange earnings.

"We are pleased with the federal government achievements in the insurgency war and in that vein, state governors have approved that the sum of $1 billion be taken from the excess crude account by the federal government to fight the insurgency war to its conclusion," Obaseki said.

Such a sum would nearly halve the $2.3 billion currently in the account.

But the decision has sparked a row.

The opposition People's Democratic Party (PDP) has accused the ruling party of planning to use the money to fund President Muhammadu Buhari's re-election in 2019.

Opposition legal action 

Ekiti state governor Ayodele Fayose of the PDP, a critic of Buhari's All Progressives Congress (APC), said he was launching legal action.

"All accruals to the federation must be shared by the three tiers of government and for me to get justice, I have to go to court," he said on Tuesday.

Local media quoted Vice President Yemi Osinbajo as saying the money was not only meant to fight Boko Haram but to tackle other security challenges such as kidnappings, trafficking, cattle rustling and clashes between herdsmen and farmers.

"The $1 billion is meant to assist the security architecture of the country. It is to cater to all of the issues in the states, including policing in the states, community policing, and all of the different security challenges that we have," he said.

Although both the Nigerian military and government have repeatedly said Boko Haram is a spent force, the Islamists have continued to carry out bomb and gun attacks in the restive northeast.

Earlier this month, the military commander leading the fight against Boko Haram was replaced as part of measures to end the eight-year jihadist rebellion.

Since the Boko Haram insurgency began in 2009, more than 20 000 people have been killed and at least 2.6 million people displaced, triggering a dire humanitarian crisis in the region.


Read more on:    boko haram  |  nigeria  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.