South Sudan forces 'assaulted' UN commander

2017-10-20 08:18

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - South Sudanese forces stopped a UN peacekeeping convoy at gunpoint and beat the unit's commander in the latest clash with peacekeepers in the war-wracked African country, a report obtained by AFP on Thursday said.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told the Security Council that South Sudan's defence minister had apologised for the September 21 incident in Juba, the capital.

About 100 officers from South Sudan's national security service "surrounded the convoy and pointed weapons at the vehicles," said the confidential report sent to the council on Monday.

"At one point the contingent commander accompanying the convoy was physically assaulted before diverting to UN House," in Juba, it added.

Guterres listed 17 incidents during the month of September when convoys were blocked, peacekeepers harassed and in some cases detained by South Sudan's forces.

US Ambassador Nikki Haley is scheduled to visit South Sudan next week as a new regional push to end the war appears to be struggling to get off the ground.

UN peacekeeping chief Jean-Pierre Lacroix told the council on Tuesday that the government had given a "lukewarm response" to the new peace initiative by the regional IGAD group.

Tens of thousands have been killed and millions uprooted from South Sudan since 2013 during a conflict characterized by rape, ethnic massacres and attacks on civilians.

In his report, Guterres said he was reviewing the 14 000-strong UNMISS operation in South Sudan and would present his recommendations to the council before it decides on extending the mission in December.

The United States is South Sudan's biggest aid provider and a key supporter of its 2011 independence from Sudan.

South Sudan descended into war in December 2013 when President Salva Kiir accused rebel leader Riek Machar, his former deputy, of plotting a coup.

Machar is living in exile in South Africa after he escaped heavy fighting in Juba last year, but the fighting rages on.

Read more on:    un  |  south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.