South Sudan rebels accuse government of new offensive

2017-09-13 14:34
iStock

iStock (iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - South Sudan's armed opposition has accused government troops of attacking a town that has sheltered thousands of displaced people near the Sudan border and sending them fleeing again.

Opposition spokesperson Lam Paul Gabriel calls this week's alleged offensive on Aburoc an "act of terror against innocent civilians." The town had been one of the few remaining rebel strongholds in the region.

Aburoc had been sheltering roughly 10 000 people. Many had been displaced several times by South Sudan's civil war.

Government spokesperson Ateny Wek Ateny says South Sudan's troops wouldn't attack unless in self-defense.

Aid group Doctors Without Borders says it has temporarily relocated its teams from Aburoc after tensions rose on Monday. The group's head of mission in South Sudan, Jaume Rado, says the general population is at risk.

Read more on:    south sudan  |  east africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.