South Sudan tells UN peace deal will take hold this time

2018-09-28 21:02
South Sudan map (File: iStock)

South Sudan map (File: iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

South Sudan's vice president urged world governments on Friday to put aside skepticism about Juba's commitment to a new peace deal following a string of failed agreements.

Addressing the United Nations General Assembly, Vice President Taban Deng Gai said South Sudan was ready to welcome regional forces to monitor the agreement signed on September 12 by President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar.

"I have been asked specifically why my government believes that it is a permanent peace this time?" the vice president told the UN assembly.

He responded by quoting an African proverb that he said showed that the leaders had changed attitude by looking "where you have slipped, because it is there you will find what made you fall."

Several peace deals signed by South Sudan's leaders have collapsed, most notably in 2016 when a major battle in the capital forced Machar to flee for his life.

Taban Deng called on "members of the UN family, including those who are skeptical, to give peace a chance" in South Sudan, arguing that his government had "unreservedly embraced" diplomatic efforts led by the regional IGAD group.

UN peacekeeping chief Jean-Pierre Lacroix told the Security Council last week that despite the peace deal, fighting was continuing in the states of Central Equatoria and Unity.

South Sudan is ready to allow a regional force to monitor security arrangements under the new deal that include the cantonment of forces, he said.

Frustrated with failed peace efforts, the Security Council in July imposed an arms embargo on South Sudan and slapped sanctions on two military officials.

South Sudan descended into war in late 2013 when Kiir accused Machar of plotting a coup.

* Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

A US-funded study released this week put the death toll from the war to at least 382 900, far higher than previous estimates and more than in the conflict in Syria.

Amnesty International this month accused government forces of carrying out war crimes of "staggering brutality" during a recent offensive in northern Unity state.

Civilians were shot, burnt alive, hung in trees and run over by armored vehicles. The group also documented rape, gang rape and abductions of women and girls.

Read more on:    un general assembly  |  south sudan  |  east africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.