Spain and Senegal cooperating over alleged rapes: ministers

2018-02-13 19:47
Rape victim

Rape victim

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Dakar - Senegal and Spain are in close contact over the case of four Spanish tourists robbed and allegedly raped last month in Senegal's restive Casamance region, their interior ministers said on Tuesday.

Three women were dragged into a forest and raped after their vehicle was stopped on January 25 near the village of Karonge, around 60km from the regional capital Ziguinchor, according to police.

The group were also robbed of some 5 000 euros worth of local currency before they were finally released.

"I am in touch with the Spanish embassy and the minister has told me investigations are under way and will soon be completed," Spanish Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said after talks in Dakar with Senegalese counterpart Aly Ngouille Ndiaye.

Zoido added he had been keeping a close eye on developments from the outset.

"We are awaiting the conclusions of the investigation," said Ndiaye, adding two of the rape victims had returned home and the third remained on vacation in Senegal.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news from around the continent by subscribing to our FREE newsletter, Hello Africa.

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook. 

Three days after the attack, Ndiaye had in a radio interview expressed doubts on the assault after only one woman agreed to a medical examination and that in her case there was "no trace of rape."

He added that no jewellery or watches were stolen in the attack despite cash being taken.

The Spanish foreign ministry had earlier indicated it would not comment until the victims had "themselves explained" what had happened near the small town of Diouloulou.

The attack in the restive region came three weeks after 14 young men were executed in a protected forest, reigniting debate over rebel and criminal groups. Ndiaye on Tuesday dubbed them "enemies of peace" - operating in the area.

The bloodbath - which comes at a delicate time for peace talks for Casamance - caused some to blame a group that has led a 35-year armed campaign for the region's independence.

Read more on:    senegal  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.