Sudan army rulers admit dispersing sit-in

2019-06-14 06:19
Sudanese protesters close Street 60 with burning tyres and pavers as military forces tried to disperse a sit-in outside Khartoum's army headquarters. (Ashraf Shazly, AFP)

Sudanese protesters close Street 60 with burning tyres and pavers as military forces tried to disperse a sit-in outside Khartoum's army headquarters. (Ashraf Shazly, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Sudan's ruling military council on Thursday for the first time admitted it had ordered the June 3 dispersal of a Khartoum protest sit-in that left dozens dead and hundreds wounded.

"The military council decided to disperse the sit-in and a plan was made... but we regret that some mistakes happened," spokesman Shamseddine Kabbashi told reporters.

He said the military would not allow any further protest camps to be set up near armed forces sites, after the sit-in outside army headquarters in central Khartoum was cleared.

Kabbashi said the findings of an investigation into the events of June 3 would be released on Saturday.

Thousands of protesters had held a round-the-clock sit-in outside the army complex since April 6, initially seeking the army's help to oust longtime ruler Omar al-Bashir.

The army toppled Bashir on April 11 but since then the ruling generals have resisted calls to hand over power to a civil administration.

Demonstrators continued with the sit-in even as they held negotiations with the generals over the form of a new governing body.

The talks collapsed in May over the question of whether the body should have a civilian or military head.

That was followed by a bloody crackdown on the sit-on.

A doctors' committee linked to the protest movement says about 120 people have been killed since June 3, while the health ministry has put the death toll for that day at 61.

The two sides have now agreed to resume talks, following mediation by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.

But protest leaders have insisted on certain conditions, including removing an internet blockade imposed since the crackdown.

Kabbashi welcomed Ethiopian mediation, but said that "whatever has to do with social media, we find it dangerous and we will not allow it so long as we see it as a threat to national security".

Read more on:    central africa  |  sudan
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.