Sudan general vows 'gallows' for perpetrators of deadly crackdown

2019-06-17 08:01
Sudanese protesters remove pavers to block the road as military forces tried to disperse the sit-in outside Khartoum's army headquarters. (Ashraf Shazly, AFP)

Sudanese protesters remove pavers to block the road as military forces tried to disperse the sit-in outside Khartoum's army headquarters. (Ashraf Shazly, AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A top Sudanese general vowed on Sunday to send to the "gallows" those who carried out a deadly crackdown on protesters earlier this month that killed dozens and left hundreds wounded.

"We are working hard to take those who did this to the gallows," Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, deputy chief of the ruling military council said in a speech broadcast live on state television.

"Whoever committed any fault" will be held accountable, Dagalo added.

Thousands of protesters who had camped outside the Khartoum military headquarters for weeks were violently dispersed by armed men in military fatigues on June 3, according to witnesses.

More than 100 people were killed that day in Khartoum, according to doctors linked to the protest movement, while the health ministry put the nationwide death toll at 61.

On Thursday, military council spokesperson General Shamseddine Kabbashi expressed "regret" over the crackdown.

But the council insists it did not order the dispersal, saying it had actually planned to purge an area near the protest camp where people are said to sell drugs.

"The planning of the operation of Colombia (area) was done by military and security authorities," the council said in a statement late Saturday.

"We assure you that the council is keen to investigate minute by minute facts through its investigation committee."

Brigadier Abderrahim Badreddine, spokesperson for the investigative committee, said initial findings showed "officers and soldiers of different ranks from regular forces entered the sit-in without any orders from their superiors."

"They were not part of the troops who were ordered to clean Colombia," he told state television.

The crackdown has triggered international condemnation, with the United States and others calling for an independent probe into the killings.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter.

- FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Read more on:    sudan
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.