Two killed as Guinea teachers call off month-long strike

2018-03-15 08:00
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Conakry - Two men were reportedly shot dead on Wednesday during protests in the Guinean capital as the powerful teachers' union called off a month-long strike after reaching agreement with the government on pay.

The strikes have paralysed the country's education system and fractured relations between teachers, parents and the state, while President Alpha Conde has faced criticism for allowing the industrial action to drag on.

They have run in parallel to protests by the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG), two of whose supporters were killed during protests, reports said.

State television announced the death of 22-year-old Mamadou Bailo Diallo after a 25-year-old was also shot dead in the same area, according to his family and a doctor.

"It's really sad for this country," opposition leader Cellou Dalein told AFP. He estimated the total number of opposition supporters killed since Conde took power in 2010 at 91.

Ruling party parliamentary group leader Amadou Damaro had on Tuesday accused the opposition of trying to "destabilise the regime of Alpha Conde".

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news from around the continent by subscribing to our FREE newsletter, Hello Africa.

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook.

Conde's authority has been sorely tested by the strike, which followed similar industrial action last year.

Aboubacar Soumah, the secretary general of the SLECG teachers' union, declared the strike over after signing an agreement with the Inspector General for Work, Alya Camara.

The union has gained a guarantee of a 40-percent pay increase agreed in 2017 which was only partially implemented in February.

The two sides have also agreed to negotiations on May 2-25 for a base salary of eight million Guinean francs ($880) and to a promise that strikers would not be punished.

"Each of us put the interests of Guinea first, through the children who should be back at school," said government mediator Mohamed Said Fofana.

Rights groups regularly criticise the heavy death tolls during protests and industrial action in Guinea.

Read more on:    guinea  |  west africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.