UN says 66 kidnapped in southeast Niger in July

2019-09-06 14:00
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

At least 66 civilians were kidnapped in July in southeastern Niger near the border with Nigeria where the jihadist group Boko Haram is active, a UN source said on Thursday.

"At least 66 civilians including 44 women were abducted in July 2019 alone in the Diffa area," the source said.

In early August the United Nations said 179 people had been kidnapped since January by "non-state armed groups" in the area, including Boko Haram fighters based in northeastern Nigeria and the islands of Lake Chad, which straddles Niger, Chad and Nigeria.

Diffa authorities say the abductions are often followed by ransom demands, noting that Boko Haram's coffers have been dwindling since security forces launched operations to eradicate the group in 2015.

But a Niger minister said many kidnappings could be attributed to bandits "posing" as Boko Haram militants.

Ransoms can exceed one million CFA francs ($1 655), a local politician said.

Read more on:    boko haram  |  niger  |  west africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.