UN says fighting in 2 South Sudan hotspots is 'devastating'

2017-02-14 08:30
iStock

iStock

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

New York - The UN peacekeeping department says in a confidential note to the Security Council that recent increased fighting in two hotspots in South Sudan is having "devastating consequences" for civilians.

The note, obtained Monday by The Associated Press, focuses on fighting between government and rebel forces in the Wau Shilluk area of the Upper Nile region that has caused humanitarian organizations to temporarily suspend operations there and in Central Equatoria's Kajo Keji county.

It says most civilians — approximately 20 400 internally displaced people and local inhabitants — fled Wau Shilluk earlier this month and 30 000 or more have fled three areas of Kajo Keiji since January 22 as a result of fighting, insecurity and fear of reprisals.

South Sudan plunged into ethnic violence in December 2013 when rival forces started fighting.

Read more on:    un  |  south sudan  |  east africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.