US deploys attack helicopters to strike ISIS in Libya

2016-08-24 11:49
US-backed forces gather after re-taking Sirte, Libya from ISIS. (File, AP)

US-backed forces gather after re-taking Sirte, Libya from ISIS. (File, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Washington - The United States has begun using attack helicopters to target the Islamic State group in the jihadists' Libyan former stronghold of Sirte, a defence official said on Tuesday.

American jets have since the start of August been helping fighters loyal to the Government of National Accord (GNA) retake the coastal city of Sirte, conducting dozens of strikes on ISIS fighting positions and equipment.

Lieutenant Commander Anthony Falvo, a spokesperson for the US military's Africa Command, said Marine Corps AH-1W SuperCobra attack helicopters had in recent days joined the operation.

"The Cobras provide additional precision airstrike capability," Stuttgart-based Falvo said.

"It gives us a little bit more flexibility."

SuperCobra gunships are based on the USS Wasp, an amphibious assault ship in the Mediterranean.

Harrier jets are also being launched from the ship to conduct strikes on Sirte.

As of Monday, the United States had conducted 77 airstrikes in the city.

Pro-GNA forces, backed since August 1 by US air strikes, began an assault in mid-May to expel ISIS from what had been its Sirte stronghold.

The jihadists seized control of the city, which had been the hometown of Libya's slain dictator Muammar Gaddafi, in June 2015.

They fought their way into Sirte on June 9 and have since faced a barrage of sniper fire, suicide bombings and booby traps, pinning down the jihadists in a downtown area near the sea.

More than 350 pro-GNA fighters have been killed and nearly 2 000 wounded in the battle, according to medical sources. ISIS casualty figures are unavailable.

The Pentagon has said US involvement in the Sirte operation would last "weeks not months", but Falvo did not want to speculate on how much longer the United States would continue its air campaign.

"We are there at the request of the GNA," he said.

"We will continue our support for as long as it is requested. If they were to tell us tomorrow they don't need our support any more, we would end our support at that point."

While the Pentagon insists operations to support the GNA will be conducted from the air only, officials acknowledge that small teams of special operations forces have been in and out the country to gain intelligence and build relationships with local forces.

Read more on:    isis  |  libya  |  us
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.