US no longer announcing deaths, damage in Somalia airstrikes

2019-01-25 11:32
Map of Somalia. (iStock)

Map of Somalia. (iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The US military says it has carried out two new airstrikes in Somalia against the al-Shabaab extremist group but will no longer give details on fighters killed or damage done.

A spokesman for the US Africa Command says those details are now up to Somalia's government to share.

On Saturday the US announced its deadliest airstrike in Somalia in months, killing 52 of the al-Qaeda-linked extremists after a "large group" mounted an attack on Somali forces.

The new US statement says the latest airstrikes occurred on Wednesday near Jilib in Middle Juba region, where Saturday's strike occurred.

The United States has dramatically stepped up airstrikes against al-Shabaab in Somalia since President Donald Trump took office, carrying out at least 47 last year to diminish the Islamic extremist group's "safe havens."

Sign up to News24's top Africa news in your inbox: SUBSCRIBE TO THE HELLO AFRICA NEWSLETTER

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook

Read more on:    al qaeda  |  al shabaab  |  somalia  |  east africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.