War-torn South Sudan starvation levels 'alarming': UN

2016-03-29 14:05
A severely malnourished child sits on her mother's lap in the Doctors Without Borders clinic in Leer town, South Sudan. (AP)

A severely malnourished child sits on her mother's lap in the Doctors Without Borders clinic in Leer town, South Sudan. (AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Juba - UN food experts warned Tuesday of "alarming" levels of starvation in South Sudan with food prices at record highs after two years of civil war marked by atrocities.

Fighting in the war rages despite an August agreement, and food experts have repeatedly warned parts of South Sudan's northern Unity region are on the brink of famine.

"Alarming reports of starvation, acute malnutrition and catastrophe levels of food insecurity have been reported in areas worst affected by the ongoing violence," the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) said in a statement.

It warned of "a bleak forecast" for the rest of year, with "rapidly depleting food supplies and a likely protracted lean season", adding that "food prices have reached record highs."

Fighting leads to famine

The world's youngest country is struggling to stem soaring inflation caused by the war, rampant corruption and the near collapse of the oil industry upon which the vast percentage of government foreign exchange earnings depend.

"Food insecurity has spread to areas previously considered relatively stable, highlighting the cumulative impact of conflict, economic downturn and climactic shocks," FAO added.

Fighting has spread to previously largely peaceful Western Equatoria and Western Bahr el Ghazal regions, bread basket areas for the rest of the country.

"Increased fighting puts the upcoming agricultural season at risk, with alarming potential to impact on food security for the entirety of South Sudan," FAO added.

Meanwhile the first batch of rebel soldiers arrived in Juba on Monday as a much delayed part of the peace deal, with 39 out of a planned 1 370 troops arriving, ceasefire monitors said.

The monitors also called for rebel leader Riek Machar to return to take up his post of vice-president.

"There are no remaining difficulties in the return of the First Vice President-designate and the formation of the new transitional government of national unity," said Festus Mogae, who heads the Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC).

Civil war began in December 2013 when President Salva Kiir accused his former deputy Machar of planning a coup, setting off a cycle of retaliatory killings that have split the poverty-stricken, landlocked country along ethnic lines.

Read more on:    un  |  south sudan  |  famine
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.