Warrant for Burkina's ex-president Compaore still live - army prosecutor

2016-05-18 13:57

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Ouagadougou – Burkina Faso's military prosecutor on Tuesday denied reports that an arrest warrant for ex-president Blaise Compaore, currently living in neighbouring Ivory Coast, has been cancelled.

Chief prosecutor Armand Ouedraogo said last month that the warrant for Compaore had been cancelled over procedural irregularities, because it had been issued without first being formally requested by the state prosecution.

However, a senior prosecutor for the military court, who asked not to be named, told AFP that "the arrest warrant against Blaise Compaore has not been cancelled. I can even say that it was never cancelled".

Compaore has been living in Ivory Coast since he was overthrown in a popular uprising in October 2014 after ruling Burkina Faso with an iron fist for 27 years.

Burkinabe authorities issued a warrant for his arrest in December for his alleged role in the mysterious 1987 killing of his comrade, ex-president Thomas Sankara.

Read more on:    blaise compaore  |  burkina faso  |  west africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.