Four kids burn to death in Zim - report

2014-12-20 20:02


Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Harare - Four children were burnt to death in southern Zimbabwe when a can of petrol being stored inside their home caught fire, the official Chronicle newspaper reported on Saturday.

The children were aged between two and 11.

They had been left sleeping in the care of a 20-year-old woman in their home in the Matobo District of Matabeleland South province. A gas stove was left lit in a bedroom.

A can of petrol being stored there caught fire - but the children were trapped inside. Villagers have said that they heard screams but were unable to help.

Only one of the four children was rescued but he died of his burns on the way to hospital.

The 20-year old woman is understood to be in hospital in Bulawayo suffering from severe burns.

"I was supposed to go to Botswana to buy stock for the shop and had visited my rural home early in the morning.

"I was devastated to find my children dead on my return," the traumatised mother of three of the children, Siphiwe Dube told the Chronicle.

Read more on:    zimbabwe  |  southern africa
NEXT ON NEWS24X publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.