Mugabe home invaded again, 119 laptops stolen - report

2018-04-07 14:39
Robert Mugabe. (Tsvangirayi Mukwazhi, AP)

Robert Mugabe. (Tsvangirayi Mukwazhi, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Zimbabwean former president Robert Mugabe's home has again been invaded, just less than a week since a similar break-in was reported in his Mazowe farm.

According to NewsDay, at least 119 laptops and seven desktop computers which were in a locked containers at the Polo Grounds adjacent to Zimbabwe House were allegedly stolen.

It was understood that the theft was discovered on Tuesday, when the Mugabes were moving their belongings from Zimbabwe House to their private residence in Borrowdale.

"They broke into three containers using a bolt cutter. The containers had personal belongings of the (former) First Family. When Mugabe resigned after the military intervention, the former First Family was asked to remove their belongings and because of limited time, some of the items were left in containers at Polo Grounds next to the presidential helipad," an unnamed source was quoted as saying.

The reportedly stolen equipment was going to be donated to unnamed schools in the country. 

The ex-president's wife Grace had since made a police report under case no CR110/04/18 and a detective Nyabonde was in charge of the investigation.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news from around the continent by subscribing to our FREE newsletter, Hello Africa.

FOLLOW News24 Africa on Twitter and Facebook. 

This came just a few days after a senior government official said that the former first lady was this week lying about illegal gold miners stealing laptops and illegally mining gold in one of her properties.

The state-owned Herald newspaper reported this week that Home Affairs minister Obert Mpofu had since dismissed the ex-first lady claims as lies, adding that the break in at the first family orphanage school was an inside job.

Mpofu said that there was an ongoing court dispute between the former first family and three mining syndicates.

He said the syndicate had approached the high court and were issued with a provisional order barring police and Gushungo holdings from interfering with their mining activities under case no HC293/18.

Mpofu also said that the security personnel at the former first family farms had been decreased to a bare minimum following their removal from power last year.

He said the decrease in security personnel was in line with constitutional provisions.

Read more on:    robert mugabe  |  grace mugabe  |  zimbabwe  |  southern africa

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.