ANC sued for R7.4m over tent

2014-12-10 08:41

A businessperson has taken the ANC to court for allegedly failing to pay R7.4 million for a marquee used during its Mangaung elective conference.

The Star reported today that David Naidoo has accused the African National Congress of failing to pay for the 2012 deal with M&M Marquee.

It reportedly included, tables, chairs, lounge suites, air conditioning, sound and stage, and VIP toilets.

The paper reported that the ANC had agreed to pay 50% of the total bill upfront, 25% when 75% of the work was “completed, assessed, and approved by the ANC”, and the other 25% on the day of completion.

Naidoo has applied to the court to wind up the party as it has failed to settle its debt.

“I aver that the respondent is, at the least, commercially insolvent as it is unable to pay its debts,” he said in court papers.

ANC treasure-general Zweli Mkhize dismissed the claim as frivolous. He said there was a dispute over who the rightful owner of the company was and that Naidoo was taking a chance.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.