Family meal kills five

2012-09-25 11:14

Five people have died after eating what are believed to be poisonous mushrooms in Durban.

According to The Sowetan, the Durban family of five, including a 17-month-old baby, died after eating mushrooms brought home by Bheki Mkhize (29) last Tuesday.

Mkhize reportedly gave the mushrooms to his girlfriend, known only as “Xoli”, to cook. She was the first person to become ill, and she died at RK Khan Hospital on Wednesday.

Mkhize’s 17-month-old baby, Emenhle, died at the KwaDabeka Community Clinic on Thursday.

Mkhize’s sister Nozipho (24) died on Friday at the Mariannhill Hospital.

Another of Mkhize’s sisters, Nombulelo (22) was taken to Mariannhill Hospital, but was discharged after receiving treatment.

However, she was later rushed back to hospital and died on Saturday at RK Khan hospital, where Bheki Mkhize died on Sunday.

His aunt Thembekile Cele said she did not know where he got the mushrooms.

She said the family did not know how to reach Xoli’s next-of-kin and knew only that she came from Lamontville.

Cele also reportedly did not know how she would pay for the funerals of her four family members as she was unemployed.

She said she would contact the municipality for help.

KwaZulu-Natal department of health spokesperson Chris Maxon said the cause of the deaths would only be known after post-mortems were completed.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

 
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.