Freed journo may return home tomorrow

2010-03-09 13:49

THE Supersport sound engineer who was kidnapped in Nigeria may be

reunited with his family tomorrow, Multichoice said.

Caroline Creasy of Multichoice Africa said Nick Greyling, who was

released to the Nigerian police after being held hostage in Nigeria for a week,

will “hopefully” be back in South Africa tomorrow.

“We are trying to get him home as soon as possible,” she said


Greyling was released yesterday night. He had been taken hostage

with two of his Nigerian Supersport colleagues – cameraman Alexander Effiong and

commentator Bowie Attamah – when their bus was attacked in the Imo province,

near the Oweri airport.

Effiong escaped soon after the attack and Attamah was released on

Friday, Creasy said.

No details of the deal reached with his hostage takers were


“M-Net paid no ransom. We dealt directly through the Nigerian

police,” said Creasy.

The department of international relations and co-operation today

declined to give any information on whether ransom money was paid.

“We are unable to provide such details. I think that would be left

to Mr Greyling, if he wants to release such details,” said spokeswoman Nomfanelo


The international news agency Agence France Presse (AFP) reported

from Nigeria that a security source in that country said 15 million naira

(US$100 000 or about R750 000) ransom was paid, negotiated down from 120 million


Creasy said it would be up to Greyling whether he would be willing

to speak to the media about his ordeal.

“We would first assess his health and trauma and reunite him with

his family,” she said.

Greyling’s father-in-law, RSG radio personality Johann Russouw,

said the family was extremely relieved at his release.

They heard the news from a family member who called them from

Lagos, about five minutes before seeing it on the news.

“We as a family had previously made a decision with M-Net that we

would only make news of his release public when he was safe with his family in

South Africa, and the next moment we saw it on the news,” he said.

Greyling had only been able to have a short telephone conversation

with his wife, Lorna, Russouw said.

“He said he was tired but healthy and looking forward to see his

family again.”


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.