Gary Player denies owing millions to former best friend

2013-06-26 11:04

South African golf legend Gary Player intends to oppose in court a claim that he owes his former best friend, businessman Dave King, R33 million.

King reportedly claimed Player had not repaid a $1 million loan (R10.1 million) made 14 years ago. He was now claiming the money plus interest.

According to Afrikaans daily Beeld, he asked the Grahamstown High Court to seize shares in a horse stud farm, outside Colesberg, earlier this month.

King reportedly claimed in court documents that one of his trusts, Talacar Holdings, had a 49% share in the farm, and that Player owned the other 51%.

The court granted King an interim interdict and Player was expected to provide reasons why it should not be made final.

The newspaper reported that Player’s lawyer, Rael Gootkin, had confirmed that he would oppose the claim.

Player reportedly said in a lawyer’s letter that he had no loan agreement with King.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


And the Paws24 and Hill's winners are ...

Find out who the winners of our Paws24 pet pics and Q&a competitions are...



Keep your family and pets safe from rabies
5 scientific benefits of owning a cat
Why we love cats
8 great natural remedies for your pet
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.