Gautrain gum guards ‘acted professionally and respectfully’

2012-07-20 13:23

The security guards who detained two women for chewing gum at a Gautrain station acted professionally, the Bombela Concession company said.

“The company considers that its security guards acted professionally and respectfully throughout, despite being subjected to uncalled-for verbal abuse,” it said in a statement today.

Bombela investigated the matter after allegations that two women were detained for four hours and fined R700 for chewing gum at the Rosebank Gautrain station last Friday.

Sisters Pontso Pakkies and Lebo Sibisi told The Star newspaper they were unaware that chewing gum was not allowed on the train.

While waiting for the train, Pakkies said a guard approached them and told them to get rid of their gum.

After talking to a guard, they wrapped it in paper and placed it in their bags “as there was no dustbin nearby”.

As the train approached, one of the security managers told them they could not board.

“He said we had refused to throw the gum away and he was going to fine us,” Pakkies told The Star.

Pakkies and Sibisi said they were detained in a room that had no cellphone reception. They were refused permission to go to the toilet, or call their families.

They were released after paying a R700 fine.

Bombela said it viewed CCTV footage and took statements from those involved.

According to its version of events one of the security guards noticed a woman chewing gum on the platform and asked her to throw it into a nearby bin.

“The lady refused to cooperate and began arguing with the guard. He called a second guard to confirm the rule and repeat the request.”

Both women then became increasingly angry and refused to comply.

An assistant station manager was called to explain the rules, but the women refused and became argumentative.

The women were asked to follow the manager to the station’s security office where the rules were explained again.

The company denied that its staff threatened the women, or became violent.

In the office, the women remained loud and would not cooperate, Bombela said.

They were asked to produce identification and they refused.

When the women reportedly continued to argue, the police were called.

After a long argument the pair finally agreed to identify themselves and received “an appropriate fine”.

One of the ladies called her husband, who came and was briefed by security staff before leaving with the two women.

“The ladies would have been free to continue their journey at any time had they only co-operated.”

Bombela denied that the two were detained for four hours, saying the entire incident lasted two hours.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.