Rape of school boy ‘never happened’

2012-05-29 14:37

A boy who underwent initiation while on a school rugby tour never claimed he was sexually assaulted, the Western Cape education department has said.

“The boy and his father vehemently denied that. I can only think that this claim stemmed from people who looked at the tour photos that were put up on the web,” education spokesperson Paddy Attwell said today.

“The pictures had a sexual element to them but there was no evidence to suggest sexual assault took place.”

According to a Beeld report on May 10, the boy’s mother claimed he was sexually assaulted with a broom handle and a banana in March after playing a rugby match against a local school, while camping at Velddrif on the West Coast.

She told the newspaper that he had sent her a “please call me” from his cellphone after the older boys apparently wanted to shave his head.

The next night, after he had gone to sleep, he was allegedly attacked in his bed and raped.

The attackers also shaved his eyebrows, squirted toothpaste up his nose and drew a phallic object on his forehead.

Various reports that followed had assumed, as fact, that the boy and his father claimed the same thing, Attwell said.

The police’s Lieutenant-Colonel Andrè Traut confirmed that a case was opened at Bothasig police station in connection with the Edgemead High School rugby tour.

But a senior state prosecutor declined to prosecute after looking at the complete docket, Traut said.

The department conducted its own investigation to determine whether any sexual violation, humiliation or initiation had taken place.

“The investigation found that learners engaged in initiation practices, which included shaving the hair of newcomers and drinking a non-alcoholic mixture of various substances,” Attwell said.

Certain team members drank alcohol despite a warning by their coach, he said.

Attwell said team members subjected the boy to humiliating treatment on the night of March 17 and took photos which appeared on social media sites.

Seven pupils were suspended for seven days after a disciplinary hearing.

It was found that the school had followed the correct disciplinary procedure.

“The investigation could not find evidence that the boy was raped or sexually assaulted. The boy and his family have denied making this claim,” Attwell said.

The department, nonetheless, condemned the pupils’ behaviour as “appalling”.

A warning letter on initiation practices would be sent to the principal, Attwell said.

The principal would be expected to reply with measures he had taken to ensure that initiation did not happen again.

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.