Renting to World Cup visitors affects insurance

2010-02-16 11:37

Renting out assets to World Cup tourists will probably affect the

owner’s insurance, BJM Insurance Brokers said today.

“Failure to disclose a material change to your insurer could

invalidate your cover, while proper disclosure may lead to increased premiums,”

BJM said in a statement.

Insurance cover most likely to be affected included household

contents, buildings, vehicles and public liability.

“Insurance protects you under a certain set of circumstances. When

circumstances change so should your insurance,” BJM said.

Letting and hiring out insured assets constituted a material change

in circumstances.

Cover for house contents insured the owner and family members –not

tenants and their belongings.

“When tenants move in, house contents insurance normally excludes

malicious damage caused by tenants while cover for theft only applies following

violent and forcible access to the house.”

BJM said the building sections of personal policies normally

excluded claims for malicious damage while the buildings were let.

If soccer tourists are transported as part of their accommodation

package, it may be deemed that fare-paying passengers were being


“You may then need a Public Driving Permit (PDP) and may have to

register your vehicle with the authorities,” BJM said.

“Even with a PDP, your policy may exclude cover when your vehicle

is used to transport fare-paying passengers.”

In fact, it might be necessary to amend the vehicle’s class of


“If your visitors use your vehicle, this may be construed as hiring

out the vehicle; which could invalidate your cover.”

According to BJM, if a vehicle is lent (with no question of

remuneration), the visitors must have valid driver’s licences.

BJM said legal liability provisions did not usually cover liability

arising from the occupation of buildings and the renting of movable and

immovable property.

Personal legal liability cover excluded liability arising from the

conduct of income-earning activities.

“If a foreign visitor claims against you, the claim could be in US

dollars, sterling or euros.

“This would inflate the sum in rand terms, making it advisable to

increase the insured sums set out in your policy.”

The list was by no means exhaustive and insurance implications

might vary depending on the type of cover, BJM said.


Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.