SA faces R149bn road repair bill

2014-07-08 18:03

More than 173 000km of municipal roads across South Africa are in poor to very poor condition, MPs have heard.

Repairing them will cost about R149 billion, acting transport director-general Mawethu Vilana told Parliament’s transport portfolio committee today.

“What we generally refer to as ‘backlog’ is in the categories poor and very poor.

[This alone] requires about R149 billion. It’s a mountain to climb,” he said.

According to the department’s strategic and annual performance plan, tabled at the briefing, there are 173 089km of roads in “poor to very poor condition”, of which 16 402km are paved roads and 156 687km gravel.The cost of repairing them is R118 billion and R31 billion respectively.

The document defines poor roads as those needing “significant renewal or rehabilitation”, and very poor roads as those “in imminent danger of structural failure and requiring substantial renewal or upgrading”.

Vilana said the majority of roads in these categories were in municipalities across the country.

“Municipal road infrastructure is really a challenge.”

Of those roads in very good or good condition – about 40% of the total – the majority were managed by the SA National Road Agency (Sanral).

Earlier, Vilana told the committee that Sanral now managed more than 22 000km of roads in South Africa.

“Of [this], only 14% is tolled. The other 86% is funded through the public purse.

“So when we talk about Sanral and the tolling of roads ... that is what we need to contextualise: the majority of roads infrastructure is funded through the public purse.”

Asked during a break in the proceedings if this ratio was likely to change much over the next five years, Vilana said this was unlikely.

“There is a sense that we won’t want to alter that balance,” he said, adding that to do so would “over-burden” road users.

However, the government was looking to involve the private sector in tolling.

“There is room and space for tolling of what we believe is key economic road infrastructure,” he said.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


Man scores date with tennis superstar after Twitter bet

It’s a modern day Cinderella story, but one American man took ‘shoot your shot’ seriously in 2017.


You won't want to miss...

Who are the highest paid models of 2017?
10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham
5 top leg exercises for men
10 best dressed men of 2017
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.