So, you’ve been blacklisted. What now?

2012-05-26 14:01

Most people only realise they are blacklisted when they apply for credit. A credit provider is very unlikely to provide further credit if you have unpaid bills. If you were unable to pay your last debts, what is the chance you will be able to pay now?

Reana Steyn says the word “blacklisted” can mean a variety of things, from having an account in arrears to having a judgment against you.

It is important to understand what financial situation you are facing. The thing to understand is even if you pay your debts, your negative listing will remain on your record for at least two years and, in some cases, as long as five years.

If you have fallen behind in payments, then your credit record will show this, but no legal action has been taken.

At this stage, you are able to approach your credit provider and make an arrangement to settle the debt.

If you have multiple accounts in arrears, then it may be worth contacting the National Debt Mediation Association, a non-profit organisation that can assist you in negotiating with your creditors.

If you have an asset, such as a car or a house, then you may consider debt counselling, which can protect your assets.

Steyn says it is important to understand that even if you do pay off your debt, the fact that you fell into arrears remains on your record for five years, although it will stipulate that you settled the debt.

In this case, a credit provider may charge a higher rate for new credit or it may be difficult to obtain credit.

Make sure the credit provider updates your details at the credit bureau to show the debt is paid off.

When you are in default, this usually means the debt has been handed over to lawyers. Your credit record will stipulate “handed over” or “written off”.

If the debt is small and the creditor believes they have little chance in receiving payment, they may write off the debt. However, it remains visible on your credit record for two years.

Steyn says when collectors start calling, you can still negotiate to pay the amount off.

Immediately ask if you can come to an agreement.

Although the credit provider would most likely require the outstanding debt to be paid in full, they may concede to drop additional fees and interest charges, and the debt collector or lawyer may agree to discount their fees in full and final settlement, although they do not have to agree to a discount.

Also find out if the original debt is still with the credit provider or whether the book has been sold to a debt collection agency.

If the debt is owned by a debt collector, the fees will account for a substantial amount of the debt so you can often negotiate a lower payment if you can settle with a lump sum.

Even if you settle the debt, it will remain on your credit record for two years, but it will show as “paid off”.

Once you have a paid-up letter, you need to send this to the credit bureaus.

They have 20 days to update the information. Ask for a copy of your record to ensure that it reflects your “paid-up” status.

A judgment is very serious as it is a legal action and it is difficult to reverse.

A judgment at a high court cannot be rescinded or removed unless it was issued in error. A high court judgment is usually for amount more than R100 000.

For lesser amounts, judgments are usually issued by the magistrates’ court and these can be rescinded if you pay off the debt.

Again, however, the judgment will show on your record for five years as “paid up”.

Steyn says even a paid-up judgment will be seen as very negative by a credit provider and it will affect your ability to borrow money.

The view is that a judgment is only taken after a very long process has been followed and such a consumer would suggest a very high risk to any future credit provider.

Steyn says in order to have a magistrates’ court rescind a judgment, you have to not only have a paid-up letter from the credit provider, but you need a letter stating that the credit provider agrees to the judgment being rescinded.

A credit provider is not legally obliged to provide this and in some cases they are reluctant to do so.

Steyn says some magistrates will rescind judgment without the letter, but this is no guarantee. You will require an attorney to represent you in court.

If your judgment is rescinded, it will remain on your record for five years stating that it has been “rescinded”.

If you have an outstanding judgment, it will fall off your credit record after five years. However, it remains active for 30 years.

This means the credit provider can hold you to that debt for 30 years.

Steyn says there may be many years of inactivity from the debt collectors and then they will suddenly demand money from you with interest – as the interest keeps running on the judgment amount.

So if you have a judgment, don’t think it will just go away.

It is best that you deal with it and make an attempt to settle the debt.

Steyn says the information will not be “deleted” from credit providers’ records.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.