South Africans resent black success – Gwede Mantashe

2014-10-01 15:24

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe has criticised society’s attitude towards black success at the annual Black Management Forum in Sandton.

“We resent black success,” he said. “When we see successful black South Africans we assume that they are corrupt or have to have had some connection with the ANC.”

He said a recent example was the treatment of Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa and his company Shanduka’s 9% shareholding in mining company Lonmin.

“Even though Cyril owned only 9%, that 9% took the blame for everything [that happened at Marikana] and not the other 91% shareholding, and it’s because we resent black success,” Mantashe said.

Ramaphosa’s name came up after the Marikana massacre in August 2012, when emails between him and Lonmin management were discovered. The massacre happened when miners clashed with police and 34 miners were killed.

“If you read the list of top 100 rich South Africans a few years ago there were no black people and now there are, and to me that means there has been redistribution of wealth,” said Mantashe.

He also said water was an area of accelerated investment for the government with more dams being built, and that transport infrastructure was another key area of investment.

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions. publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Inside News24


WATCH: Man films himself going down water slide upside down as things go very wrong…

What is at first an exciting tummy-turning adventure stunt, quickly turns into a scarily bad idea caught on camera. Take a look:


You won't want to miss...

Best date night restaurants in South Africa
WATCH: Ryan Reynolds offers fans a free tattoo in new Deadpool 2 teaser
Should you date your co-worker?
Hip Cape Town bars to discover this summer
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.